Thursday, August 30, 2012

The slow eater

Lately, every meal is a struggle (to me). Kiharu used to be a very good eater and would not stop feeding herself. But I know just as everything else, there is always a cycle. Since we came back from the trip, she seems to lost interest in eating (except snack). Not that she doesn't eat (please don't worry), but she would be very slow, or show less enthusiasm. I tried different method- encouragement, time out,  upset tone, calm tone, or even silent cold war... she doesn't seem to care. She could just sit there for two hours not moving much at all.

Grandma told me to feed her, but I refused. We came this far to train her to eat by herself, she is certainly capable in doing so. Yes, rice became cold, I would sometimes reheat for her, but there are times, it's useless. I know she is only 2.5 yrs old, and someday when I think back, I know this is definitely not worth to fight for.....but right now, that's what we are going thru, perhaps it's part of the learning & growing process....

As for Yoshi, he changed from the slow eater to the best eater. There are times he would even ask for more food.....
 (this is probably the image inside Nori's mind, melt his heart....... and.....
 ...... this is the image I see most of the time.... always up to something no good ... ^_^)

3 comments:

amy said...

totally support you!

sometimes i think it's so interesting that these two-year-old munchkins can have such strong will to resist eating or doing things they don't want, right?

i try to take away rewards for not finishing meals, e.g. no going down to the podium to play or no dessert if she doesn't finish her meals. but it doesn't always work. and i'm not sure if using reward/punishment is right.

the ideal way to do it might be to set an alarm or time limit for the kids to finish their meals, and then take away the meals after that time, without offering any other snacks or food before the next meal time, but i'm not sure if i can do it too... i'm a bit too lenient i know.

have you heard about this book? i haven't read it yet but maybe there could be some insights there.
http://www.amazon.com/French-Children-Dont-Throw-ebook/dp/B006TF6VBC

Kambayashi said...

Amy, thank you so much for sharing your struggle too, I know I can always count on your support, perhaps because we both have a set of similiar siblings...

While I'm writing this, I just put Kiharu to nap after taking away her plate of food and I didn't speak a word with her. Imagine this, I am dealing with this 3 times a day, and after trying almost everyway, I'm a bit exhausted, but wouldn't give up. She absolutely understand everything even she doesn't seem to care. Just as I thought our calm (& sincere) conversation this morning after breakfast, might lead to a better lunch, but that's not the case.

And I even bake some muffins in front of her, while hoping she could speed up her lunch, she care less. Sometimes, she might be just focusing on the rewards (dessert/fruit), instead of "how to get the reards", that didn't help. Or sometimes, she care less about those...

I'm frustrated, but also understanding raising my voice won't help. I have yet find any solution, but I'm about to try switching out her highchair to another one...we will see...

Anyway, thx for listening. By the time when she wakes up from nap, I'm about to deal with the dinner meal..... but luckily brother Yoshi is in a different pace, helps to balance the situation...

Good luck with yours...

amy said...

hey, i just remember - i tried playing rock paper scissors with the kids when they're reluctant to eat now. whoever loses needs to eat and when there's a tie, both eats. sometimes i play with them, sometimes they play with themselves. might not be able to motivate them to finish the whole bowl, but at least a few more bites.

hang in there!