Friday, May 6, 2011

Peanut allergy

One week after the emergency doctor visit, blood test result confirmed Yoshi has high peanut allergy. (the test also revealed his has moderate allergy to cats, which shouldn't be any big problem)

For precaution, now I have to carry Epi-pen with me everywhere, including leaving one at school. Basically, this is a medicine to be injected under emergency situation, related to allergy issue.
All our lives (including Nori's), we never have any allergy issue, to this is a whole new education for us. The biggest challenge right now, is the need to remind myself to check on the labels or menus. I need to remember doing that.

Since Yoshi was born, I haven't given him much peanut or peanut butter related food before. Even we did, there wasn't any noticable reaction. So this new incident was a complete shock to us. I've just realized luckily the peanut oil that most restaurant used are fully refined- meaning the protein which could trigger allergic reaction was being removed. No wonder Yoshi is totally fine with his favorite chicken nuggets.

Right now, at least I know Yoshi is not allergic to hazelnut, because he's fine with Nutella chocolate spread which doesn't contain peanut.

He will be visiting allergist very soon, so we will find out more information later. Maybe more test will be needed in the future.

Despite this new problem, he's totally fine. Life as usual, laugh, play, eat and sleep well. we are very lucky that last week incident happened at home, when Nori was in town, when the doctor was still available, and I took the Reese Cup chocolate away immediately after his first stolen bite (instead of letting him finishing it).

The most funny part about this- I have been trying to teach Yoshi to say "I cannot eat peanut, it will make me sick" in both English & Cantonese. And I'm also role playing with him that if he got offered a snack, he needs to check with me before eating. He completely understands "that food" makes him sick and he cannot eat "that", but he kept repeating "I cannot eat CHOCOLATE,.......". In his mind, it's the stolen "chocolate" that made him sick, regardless of what's the content.....^_^ I did have to correct him, so be sure he understand it's more about the peanut. ^_^


Wonder if this fish was being cooked with peanut oil? ^_^

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nutella !! I love it, glad Yoshi can continue enjoying it too ! (A childhood without Nutella is not a complete childhood ...) ^_^

Take care !

Auntie Anna