Friday, March 16, 2012

What's the definition of strong?

Question of the day for everyone:

Your child is playing with a new friend just met, they are having fun together. Suddenly the other child plays rough, like doing a kung fu move on your child. (knowing it's not that hurt) what would you do? defend your child by saying something right away? or wait to see how your child handles the situation on his own? .................


As for me, I choose to wait (but kept close eye). I do think as long as there is no immediate harm, sometimes it's better to let the kids learn how to deal with things on their own or to see what they would do and teach from there. Yoshi understand he's not suppose to hit back. He chose to walk away with frustration. So then I grabbed him immediately, and told him perhaps he should go back and tell the kid "Don't hit, it hurt". He did, the kid apologized and things are fine.


This is such a small issue, but as parent, I wonder what's the best way to handle situation. There are times we would try to teach the kid to be strong, and defend for themselves. But where do you draw the line? What is the definition of being "strong"??


Just wonder, how would you teach your kids?


(These photos were taken back in January, on one of the much warmer day. Can't believe now in mid March, seems like summer is here already. Where has the Spring gone?)


(5 days forecast from today....warm warm warm...can't believe it)

3 comments:

Jaden and Averi said...

I had the same situation and I waited and stayed put. However, the kid kept getting rougher and rougher and when the kid's parents/mom was not watching, I went and said something to all of them to play nice!! I was not directing to one specific kids but I looked at all of them. The kid eventually walked away and stayed away from Jaden. I think that we taught our kids certain values and morals and in this situation, it's good to sit back and see how they would handle the situation themselves. In my situation, I knew I had to interfere when Jaden seemed to be running away from the kid.

Kambayashi said...

Thanks Rhoda for sharing. I think Jaden and Yoshi must share similar characteristics, part of it maybe they are older siblings too. ^_^ Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You're really a great mom ! Though I'm not a parent but an aunt, I agree that letting the kids resolving problems by themselves (while keeping a close eye) is a good way for them to learn from the experience. Once I've a friend whose kid fell down and hit a stool. While some people might try to "blame" the stool and pretend to hit it in order to calm down the crying kid (I'm sure you've seen that before, I don't know why but it seems that many people will do that), my friend told her kid that it was ok, he wasn't injured and perhaps he could be more careful next time.

That's great parenting !

Auntie Anna