Friday, July 17, 2009

Trilingual begins

Recently, we noticed Yoshi has started his interest in learning volcabularies. So we try to make use of every opportunity to teach him. I speak to Yoshi in Cantonese, sometimes with a few Japanese, just so he can keep up with what he have learnt from Nori. And when we hang out with other friends, English is being spoken as well among kids. Just the other day when Zoe & Sedona was here for overnight stay, Yoshi switched his communication very quick. It's very interesting to experience all these with him as parents.

But at the same time, it's also a learning process for me and Nori. There are many times, we both question each other what Yoshi was saying, because he might be saying words that one of us taught him and we might not understand ourselves being a different language. So in many ways, we are learning along with Yoshi too.

Last night, Nori came home while Yoshi was still awake. So Japanese language 101 began.
あいうえお is like the first 5 Japanese alphabets (A-E). After 10 mins, I think little Yoshi was more interested in stacking those wooden blocks instead.
During dinner tonight, Yoshi looked out the window and repeated a few volcabularies that he had learnt recently:
- "くも" (Japanese = Clouds)
- "上面" (Cantonese = Up)
- "Birds"
It was really interesting in listening to his trilingual expression. I don't think he can distinguish the language differences, but at least he's building up his own dictionary.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note- Lately I am in the mood of baking bread ourselves using the bread machine my friend got me few years ago. With the motivation of eating healthy (& have plenty of time at home), I have been baking loafs of bread every week, Yoshi really likes eating it. And I am craving with the bakery back home which I can't get here at all, so preparing by myself seems to be the only options. Today, I was in the mood of challenging myself little further. Wow- la, here are the new bakery department. Yoshi was really interested in watching, maybe someday I will be brave enough to let him participate in the making process....
toppings include- sausages/ ham with cheese. Of course, u will need to have the Japanese mayonnaise.

No comments: