Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Long long rainy day(s)

Lately, I have noticed the toys at home just wasn't as entertaining as they used to be. Actually, we don't buy much toys for Yoshi (yet). Most of these are gifts. We prefer to be outdoor with him or try to be creative in our entertainment selection. Although, I must say, there were many winter days I wished we had more toys to keep him busy. Summer time is easier, we can go to park, kicking balls or just be outside, meeting friends.

But with this rainy Spring season, there are many days we just stay home, and that could be challenging. I know Yoshi is being good, there are times he could just play by himself, living in his own little imaginary world. Now that he gets older, I want to do more activities with him, like we tired cooking, drawing (with HIGH supervision), singing, dancing, reading (not to the point which he will sit still for more than 3 mins), playing....but I just felt that it's not enough. Consider we are home alone usually for 12 hrs straight before Nori comes home, and there is only 1-2 hrs nap in between.... I tried my best to limit TV time to only when I'm preparing breakfast or dinner. I do think some of the program he watches actually teaches him a lot. I want to "teach" him more, as he is like a sponge, learning the words that we taught him, but somehow my brain is not being very creative recently......if any of u have suggestions, let me know. (I do learn from reading all my friends' blog, but I need more to fill up our long long rainy days....)

(He was chewing the camera cap)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday was another rainy day, but we had a fun time meeting Nora & her girl- Sarah at IKEA. It's a perfect indoor place for kids (but not in weekend).....they totally treated themselves like at home.
(Nora, I'm glad we finally made this trip, and I didn't postpone anymore...^_^)

5 comments:

Erin said...

I love Ikea's catalogs and browsing online, but I still have yet to make it to the actual store. I am hoping one day we will be able to take a wknd trip to either Pittsburgh or Cincinnati. Looks fun! :)

Kambayashi said...

Erin, aren't u living in Columbus? u have not been to IKEA? U WILL LOVE IT, I know u WILL. U got to come down here and have fun. U might not want to leave afterwards.

amy said...

what about playdough? rafael enjoys it a lot and can easily play for over an hr. we got this kitchen set which is really nice and cheap and allows you to be really creative. rafael is always yearning to play more but we never got get enough time to do so!

Kambayashi said...

Amy- I thought about playdough, but Nori is strongly hesitating about that. He kept telling me from his past experience being a kid, it could get REALLY messy. I guess he used to decorate his hair with colorful playdough or take bites out of those....and he strongly believe Yoshi might have inherited his gene....

amy said...

haha re playdough, it's pretty fine for rafael though. you can get some crumbs here and there but it's not difficult to clean with some vacuuming.

i do have hesitations on whether yoshi wants to try out how the clay tastes though (remember a few of his paper-eating incidents). rafael had put the clay in his mouth for one or two times but he knows we can only pretend to eat now.