Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Yoshi's (Speaking) Japanese

Although I spent most time with Yoshi and speak to him entirely in Cantonese. But we also want Yoshi to understand Japanese as well. So while Nori is at work, I try to give Yoshi Japanese tutoring. With my limited Japanese volcabularies, I manage to teach him few basic (& useful) words. In addition, I would play those Japanese videos and music to him. It's amazed how much Shimajiro has taught Yoshi (& ME). I love those Japanese kids book, they are very creative and simple. I can't read exactly what's being written, but I would combine Cantonese and Japanese, and sometimes make up my own stories. Then at night, I would have Nori read to Yoshi in entirely Japanese. He's such a little sponge right now, it's getting so much fun in finding out what he understands and repeat.

As for English, we figure out he would learn that when he's at school or playing with neighbours. He might even pick up few while listening to me and Nori's conversations. So far, his best one is "No-No-No". (unfortunately)




"Koniichiwa"(meaning- Hi)- Somehow Yoshi only says "Ka-Ja", we keeps trying to correct him, but that's his own version. And he would even bow his head when greeting.

"Kusai" (meaning- stinky)- I taught him this to use against Nori's bad smoking habbit (which hopefully he will quit very soon........................)

Few other ones he also can say includes: "Inai Inai Bai", "MiMi", "Hai", "Dozo", "Kirin", "Shu shu bo bo" (train sound)........more to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

His manner of learning is so nice, good job !

kk & pp

馬渡太太 said...

First time to leave a message here.

My boy Takumi is also a "sino-japanese" mix. He is now doing fine with his language development, both Cantonese and Japanese. Recently he is picking up more vocabs through watching TOTORO, his father's favourite. Let's work hard together!

BTW, we have the same inainaibaa book at home! :)

Kambayashi said...

Hi Takumi-okaasan, welcome here. Actually I visit your blog often too, I found yours thru Rafael's blog. I enjoy reading about Takumi, he's so cute. Our boys definitely share lots of similar interest. Wish we live closer together, then they can hang out often. Anyway, looking forward to many more of Takumi's stories. Thanks for leaving message here.