Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mama's time out spots

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the kind words u have left on yesterday blog subject. Your support and sharing have given me strength. Thank you.

Anyway, the challenging relationship with Yoshi continues today. Earlier this week, he has caught a cold again. (if u visit this blog often, u probably is wondering the same as mine- "how did he get the cold again?! I have no answer. Except I have already made a call to the doctor's office, checking to see if there is any allergy blood test he could do, we will have to wait for next wk) so, I have to cancel the playtime with Yoshi's friend- Ethan at the last minute (sorry Ethan, we will meet soon...I was so looking forward to your grandma's homemade dumplings too). I did took Yoshi out to a few stores today, but it didn't help much in easing our tensions....let's not go into details...................

But, in between these face off, sometimes the best way to handle is to find my own inner peace by sitting at the corner, not letting the frustration get worsen, especially when I'm trying to deal with a 2 yr old, who seems to have every previlages and priorities upon anyone else. I don't grow up with the concept of 'time out chair", my parents never use this method before (well, the house in Hong Kong aren't big enough to create any spot for that purpose.....), so I have not yet implement that on Yoshi either. But I do find this concept much more effective for myself. The spots definitely give me a moment to calm myself, and perhaps even a little time to think of something else.......

Leaning against the couch, and starring at the tall window to the outside world, or looking at the neighbour's doggies taking an afternoon nap, does distract my attention (even when Yoshi was running around at the background)...
I discovered this spot (sitting by the lower stairs) while waiting patiently for Yoshi to come over and go upstairs for bath or changiing diapers. There are many times he would ignore my request, so I just sat there until he realized I was not within his sight. Then he would come over. During the waiting period, I was able to calm myself or even think of the dinner menu. And if it took long, I might even be able to catch a super power nap by leaning against the wall....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've 2 nephews, the elder one is an angel while the younger one is ... well, a bit more rebellious. So it took me a lot of patience to deal with the younger one, coz' whenever I don't let him to do something he will ask me WHY (!). Well as an Aunt I don't think I can be rude (mostly because he will remember it ... haha), so I always tell him to ask his Mom !

It's really not easy to take care of a kid, but you're already doing very well.

Take care and do give yourself some "me time" :)

Auntie Anna